Search This Blog

9/09/2008

fiberlass notes

From: racer577@citystar.com
Sender: Star45@yahoogroups.com
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2006 09:17:01 -0600 (MDT)
Subject: [Star45] photo's glassing wood hull

Here are a couple of photos showing the layers of glass on the hull
before resin is applied. I used 3.2 oz/yard satin weave cloth. I
think I could get two layers out of 1.5 yards of cloth. This cloth is
about $10/yard locally.
I lay the cloth out on the hull before applying resin. I make sure
it fits well and there are no wrinkles. Once both layers are in
place I apply resin. I have good luck with the west systems brand
epoxy. I have also used system 3 epoxy, but it doesnt seem to be
quite as stiff.
Once the epoxy is cured but not hard I trim as close as possible to
the wood. This is much easier to do when green. With the 105/209
combination I could do this about 12 hours after laying up the hull.
Next comes sanding the rails and the bottom. This is easier to do
before pulling the hull off the board, but can be done afterwards if
needed.

John





No comments:

Post a Comment