Search This Blog

1/03/2007

S45 Construction : Re: Woodie construction tip

"To: Star45@yahoogroups.com
From: 'Mitch Martin'
Sender: Star45@yahoogroups.com
Date: Wed, 03 Jan 2007 00:01:50 -0000
Subject: [Star45] Re: Woodie construction tip

Thanks for the encouragement! To answer your questions: I CAed the
1/32' bass wood to the frames and stringers. When I epoxy the
inside it will make the permanent bond. The layers of veneer are
cold molded with system 3 epoxy. I will have two layers on the
bottom and one on the sides, then glass with epoxy and .6 oz glass
cloth. Then one more layer of veneer. I do intend to laser some
patterns into the veneer. Then I'll finish with more clear epoxy
(probably west) and then varnish. Like I said, it's not going to be
light, but will look like a jewelery box when done.

--- In Star45@yahoogroups.com, Drake Dunivan
wrote:
>
> Thanks for that tip, its always nice to learn from
> someone elses mistakes :)
>
> What are you using for the adhesive? CA? Tightbond
> III?
>
> Hopefully everything else goes smoothly.
> drake
>
>
> --- Mitch Martin wrote:
>
> > I just made a mistake on my woodie and wanted to
> > pass along the tip.
> > You must install the side planks before installing
> > the botton planks.
> >
> > I tried to do the bottom first and it bent the thin
> > chine rails up and
> > now I have a wavy chine. It can be sanded out a
> > little but it's not
> > as good as I would have liked. Also, I have started
> > veneering the
> > hull with .035' maple and mohagany veneers. Should
> > be nice looking
> > when done.
> >
> > Best, Mitch
> >"

No comments:

Post a Comment